Monday 9 May 2011

Copy Of Magazine Cover


As part of our coursework task we were asked to remake a music magazine front cover.  When I was looking for a magazine I knew straight away that I could cop Beastie Boys magazine because me and my friends are big fans.
Before I took my photos I made the background, masthead and cover lines using adobe Photoshop cs5 extended. As this magazine is fairly old the font styles were not that difficult to get my hands on. I managed to find the “Smash Hits” logo and the other fonts were wrote in “Arial Black”. This cover is fairly basic as it’s not a magazine published today so there are not many graphic features shown on this magazine apart from the main image and different colour  cover lines and incentives. The layout of this magazine follows the guidelines and qualities of a lot of magazines with the masthead at the top, man image to the centre, cover lines surrounding the image and a seal of approval.
Taking the photograph itself was fairly hard. It took me a good 10 attempts to get it perfect and even still I had to crop it again. I used a medium longshot to capture this photograph. This then leaves space to view part of the background and still reveal the persons facial expressions and part of their clothing.  To edit this I then used adobe Photoshop cs5 extended. Using the select tool I carefully went round every person individually until they wer perfectly selected, then I inversed the select so the background was then selected.  I then changed the background to a red colour as this its what’s on the original magazine. After doing this I neatened the photo around the edges and as one of the artist on the magazine was wearing a “Fila” t-shirt o inly had a white t-shirt. There for I had to copy and paste a logo of the internet and rotate and transform it to fit on his t-shirt. This then appeared very effective and successful.
Overall I’m happy with how the remake came out but I I were to do it again I would choose to take the photograph next to a green screen or a lot less busy background. Secondly I would probably take the photograph before making the layout to make the procedure accurate as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment